Here, let me tell you… (And you do NOT want to miss this sale!)
If you absolutely can’t wait, here’s the sale I want (need) to tell you about.
I’ll never forget the first time I wore this dress on a date.
It was a few months back over the summer, and it must have been an hour into our conversation — at least. Mid-sentence, he stopped, audibly exhaled and laughed, saying something to the extent of “Oh my god, okay. So there’s a slip under there — I get it.”
It’s completely see-through.
(It does kinda look that way, in his defense… Gotta keep ’em guessing.)
But no… I’M A LADY!
Most of the time.
As much as my style has simplified over the years, the fact remains that I love slipping into a beautiful dress. There’s something about it, you know?
This intricately designed find is by is Self-Portrait, a London-based brand and one of my absolute favorite designers for occasion dresses and those “wow-factor” finds.
I’ll be honest, though: Most of my pieces that fall into the latter category — the “wow-factor” — I can’t afford at retail price.
But when I find a dress or piece that I really, really love… I stalk the shit out of it.
And, guys. I mean I stalk. That. Shit.
Self-Portrait is expensive, yes, but I love their aesthetic. The quality is top-notch and the designs are freakin’ striking, as you can see. And as I mentioned, it’s been my go-to for fun and fancy occasion-type dresses for all those life events that seem to come in waves — much to my girlfriends’ delights.
Gotta treat yo’self, right?
Real quick, before we move on: The only point of contention, I will say, is the sizing; I’m not sure why it seems to be off most of the time, but I’m generally an 8 in Self-Portrait versus a 4 or 6 in most other brands.
Just in case.
The more you know…
Anyway, when this little number finally went on sale (at none other than Shopbop), I pulled the trigger without hesitation.
And reelin’ it back in, that’s where most of my “wow-factor” purchases happen: Shopbop’s sale section.
(Many of my purchases in general, come to think of it…)
The site launched a two-day surprise sale that ends today (I just found out!), so I thought I’d share some of the best deals and designer pieces that I found– the two of which overlap in many cases. (I had to stop and buy these red ankle-tie pumps before I even finished this sentence. Obsessed!)
Bags, shoes, denim — you name it.
After doing some browsing, I noticed that a lot of things on sale are pieces that I already have in my closet, too — including my leopard-print fold-over clutch, the classic Hunter rain boots and rag & bone Harrow booties (the most comfortable booties — go up a half-size, though).
In terms of closet staples — and in the winter especially — I’ll pretty much rotate solely between these rag & bone denim leggings (my favorite pair of black “jeans”) and this pair of classic leggings (the material is thick, which is hard to come by).
Oh, and — of course — my dress.
This exactly style that I’m wearing in the post today is sold out (natch), but here’s a similar style (that I also purchased and felt justified in doing so). It also comes in a short black-and-white version. Length-wise, this all-white midi style is the closest thing to the dress I’m wearing.
TGI… Payday tomorrow, huh?
Here’s some of the site’s sale finds — act quick if you like something, the good finds always go fast. If you have questions for me about sizing or anything, tweet me or leave a comment below. You can shop worry-free for the most part, though, Shopbop always has free shipping and returns unless otherwise noted.
1. Self Portrait mini dress, 2. Schutz ‘Delza’ tie pumps, 3. Madewell black cross-body bag,4. Illesteva mirrored sunglasses, 5. Blank Denim classic skinny jeans, 6. Hunter Original short boots, 7.JOA cold-shoulder sweater, 8. English Factory ruffle sweater, 9. Eugenia Kim pom-pom fur hat, 10. Sam Edelman suede mules, 11. Alice & Olivia ruffle crop top, 12. Stuart Weitzman suede pumps, 13. One Teaspoon denim shorts, 14. rag & bone Harrow booties, 15. Clare V cross-hair fold-over clutch
To break it down a bit further, if you’d prefer to shop this way:
Here’s what I purchased:
Here’s what I already have in my closet:
- Blank Denim suede moto jacket
- Schutz ‘Moranita’ pumps
- Sam Edelman suede mules
- Blank Denim classic skinny jeans
- Illesteva mirrored sunglasses
- Spiritual Gangster denim jacket
- Clare V cross-hair fold-over clutch
- Blank Denim suede moto jacket
- Eugenia Kim pom-pom fur hat
- Alice & Olivia ruffle crop top (size up if you’re in between — I have a 4; great going out top)
- Hunter Original short boots
- One Teaspoon denim shorts
- Sol Sana black sandals
- rag & bone Harrow booties (the most comfortable boots)
- rag & bone denim leggings (my favorite pair of black “jeans”)
- David Lerner classic leggings (in two colors — they’re thick; the best)
… Shit, I do shop too much.
And here’s a few more sale finds worth noting:
- JOA cold-shoulder sweater
- English Factory ruffle sweater
- 7FAM black skinny jeans
- Madewell brown boots
- Madewell black cross-body bag
- Eugenia Kim mini pom-pom beanie
- Stuart Weitzman suede pumps
*In this post:
Cut-out maxi dress: Self-Portrait
Sandals: Schutz ‘Glendy’ sandals
Clutch: Vineyard Vines
Sunglasses: Le Specs
Lipstick: NARS velvet matte lip pencil in ‘Luxembourg’
Iron & Honey Photography